Director of Finance – Full Time/Exempt
Make-A-Wish Orange County and the Inland Empire®
The Director of Finance & Operations is a key member of the Foundation’s leadership team and provides organization-wide oversight and strategic thought including budgeting, strategic planning, and compliance with national and local governing policies. The Director of Finance & Operations directs and oversees all central operating functions for the Foundation, including finance, human resources, technology, volunteer management and office administration.
The Director of Finance & Operations plays an integral role in the chapter’s overall Finance and Operations team. In addition, the incumbent may be required to perform other job-related tasks and duties as directed.
Essential Job/Position Functions:
Financial Management & Oversight
- Plans, implements, directs and evaluates the Foundation’s financial function and performance in partnership with the CEO.
- Works with Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and Board of Directors to develop and manage the annual budget, long-term strategic financial planning and cash flow management.
- Serves as the primary point of contact to the Foundation’s outsourced accounting provider, Shared Financial Services (SFS) at Make-A-Wish America and works directly with them to assure preparation of accurate and timely monthly financial statements.
- Monitors financial budget variances with SFS, SLT and CEO and prepares monthly financial reports to management and Board of Directors.
- Provides timely and accurate analysis of budgets, forecasts, financial reports, financial statements, and financial trends to assist the CEO, the Board, and other senior leaders in performing their responsibilities.
- Reviews investment activity and prepares reports for SLT, Finance Committee, and the Board.
- Serves as a staff liaison to the Finance Committee.
- Creates, updates and maintains the Foundation’s Internal Control Manual and Operating Policies and Procedures in accordance with National and local policies and enforces compliance.
- Oversees preparation of the annual financial audit and Form 990.
- Assists the CEO as needed within the financial capacity of above responsibilities.
- Manages the human resource function assuring compliance with all applicable legal requirements. This includes recruitment, hiring, onboarding, professional development and training of employees.
- Manages the relationship with all Human Resource and Benefits vendors ensuring the staff are receiving maximum benefit from the vendor relationships.
- Maintains personnel files for employees in accordance with all federal, state regulations as well as National Office compliance.
- Develops and implements personnel policies and procedures and maintains Employee Handbook.
- Ensures that the human resource function is properly resourced and represented within the senior leadership team.
- Oversees the volunteer program in partnership with the SLT to ensure the Foundation’s objectives are being met.
- Oversees the recruitment of wish granters, office volunteers and interns to ensure the Foundations cohesiveness.
- Oversee the engagement of volunteers by staff to increase efficiencies.
Operations & Support
- Oversees the Foundation’s strategy and efforts around the use of volunteers across the organization.
- Oversees the Foundation’s office management functions ensuring smooth daily operations.
- Provides risk management support through review of letters of agreement, contracts, leases, and other legal documents and agreements.
- Directs and implements technology initiatives.
- Manages insurance policies, claims and procedures.
- Works with the CEO to provide staff support and guidance to the Board of Directors and act as staff liaison to relevant board committees.
- Identifies and communicate to chapter leadership all potential opportunities and/or relationships that will increase our chapter’s ability to raise funds and grant wishes.
- Identifies challenges and recommend solutions to senior leadership; balance competing priorities and work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Ensures chapter compliance with MAWFA governing policies, performance standards and guidelines across functional areas.
- Advices direct supervisor of matters of importance relating to areas of responsibility.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adherence to deadlines, strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to fully contribute to a collaborative, team-oriented, fast-paced organization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to clearly communicate with all employees, volunteers, donors, the Board of Directors, CEO and other senior leaders in a clear, business-like and respectful manner, which focuses on generating a positive, enthusiastic and cooperative work environment.
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to speak, read and write in English.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Requires a passion for and commitment to the work of Make-A-Wish.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related degree.
- Minimum five years professional experience in non-profit finance preferred.
- CPA or MBA preferred.
- Microsoft Office proficiency (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint
- NetSuite experience preferred.
- Administration, management, supervision, and human resource issue management experience preferred.
Working safely is a condition of employment. Make-A-Wish Orange County and the Inland Empire is a drug-free workplace.
The employee will be expected to work the hours necessary to meet the position requirements. Must be able to lift 25lbs.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line should read “Director of Finance”
Resumes will be accepted until 5 pm on Friday, July 3, 2020.
No phone calls please