The Director, Annual Giving will develop and manage multi-channel fundraising efforts as part of an overall strategic plan promoting the Foundation’s fundraising priorities. The Director will be responsible for designing and implementing strategies and processes for acquiring new donors and renewing and upgrading existing donors, including solicitation and stewardship of leadership-level annual giving donors.
This position reports to the Vice President, Development Operations and Campaigns and will work in a highly collaborative structure including fundraising, administrative, planned giving, events, communication, stewardship and executive staff.
While this is largely a hands-on position which will require both planning and doing, for the right candidate tremendous professional and career growth is possible.
- Lead day-to-day annual giving efforts of Hoag Hospital Foundation.
- Develop innovative strategies to recruit new donors, inspire current donors to advance to the next level of giving and ensure appropriate stewardship is provided.
- Oversee solicitation and recognition programs for leadership-level annual giving donors.
- Form long-term plans and strategies for reaching new levels of annual giving participation.
- Develop and manage an annual budget and appeal-specific budgets.
- Manage each appeal campaign to meet deadlines and budget.
- Set annual giving goals.
- Create direct mail and email segmentation plans.
- Write compelling fundraising copy.
- Create printed and electronic appeals and follow-ups.
- Craft personalized messaging and case for support.
- Determine ask amounts.
- Manage multiple programs simultaneously.
- Prepare data for mailing and email lists from donor database and other data sources.
- Analyze results, identify trends and develop strategies for improvements.
- Develop and produce progress reports and analysis for leadership and volunteers.
- Present results, analysis and recommendations for improvement to leadership.
- Manage relationships with vendors who provide services for annual giving efforts.
- Adherence to prospect management/tracking guidelines including regular entries into the donor database.
- Collaborate with prospect management & research to identify potential major gift prospects.
- Work collaboratively with Foundation colleagues to move donor/prospects through the donor continuum.
- Maintain a positive attitude while operating in a fast-pasted, high-pressure environment.
- Execute responsibilities with precision and attention to detail.
- Possess expertise on best practices for annual giving and health care philanthropy.
- Remain aware of industry trends, new services and tools available in the marketplace.
- Evaluate current processes and tools with an eye toward increasing efficiency and meeting future needs.
- Exhibit innovative thinking.
- Respect confidentiality of all records.
- Successfully represent Hoag and its values to the community.
- Perform other duites as assigned
Education, Training and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) required.
- Five years of professional fundraising experience in public health, health systems, higher education, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
Skills or Other Qualifications
- Direct experience managing an annual giving program.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Technical computer competence including Internet, Microsoft Office suite, Adobe products, donor database systems and email marketing software.
- Experience with prospect research, data collection and organization.
- Talent for developing case statements for various fundraising initiatives.
- The ability to set very specific performance goals and work as a team.
- Maturity and the desire to learn and apply philanthropic practices.
- Complete understanding of ethical practices in volunteer management, donor cultivation and solicitation management.
- Self-directed, task oriented, independent organizational ability and timeliness in meeting deadlines and target objectives.
- Ability to coordinate one or multiple fundraising initiatives simultaneously.
- Track record of working in a focused and collaborative fashion.
- A clear and concise understanding of the philanthropic continuum and what it takes to move donor/prospects successfully.
- A track record of working within an environment with individuals of high net worth and visibility.
- Strong interpersonal skills, especially in working with multiple constituencies to build/execute a shared vision.
- The ability to analyze data to identify potential major gift and leadership-level annual giving prospects.
- Self-directed, grounded and collaborative team member.
- Experience working with or supporting fundraising committees.
- Willingness to explore new partnerships and ways to collaborate with others.
- Ability to assimilate information and communicate it on many levels.
- Strong commitment to the mission, vision and values of Hoag Hospital and Hoag Hospital Foundation.
- Experience in planning and execution of innovative annual giving programs at nonprofit organizations.
- Technical savvy with email marketing software, constituent databases and the suite of Microsoft Office programs is necessary.
- Understanding of best practices in designing and writing fundraising appeals, printed and digital storytelling and how an annual giving program serves as the pipeline for new major donors.
Click here to apply now!