Job Title: Development Director
Reports To: Interim ED (CFO)
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Date: January 2019
Global Genes is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working to connect, empower and inspire the rare disease community. Global Genes has developed a significant number of awareness and outreach programs, as well as collaborative partnerships with patient organizations, industry, clinicians, and advocates.
Reporting to the CFO, the Development Director will be critical to both creating and driving multichannel fundraising programs at Global Genes. As the organization embarks on reorganizing its operations to build capacity across multiple channels and audiences, the incumbent will be responsible for taking the lead in building a development program from the ground up. The position will require a keen focus on goal setting, metrics for success, and cultivation and stewardship of donor relationships. Full ownership of all philanthropic fundraising activities and collaboration with the Global Genes Leadership Team are required for success in this role
- Work with the CEO, CFO, Founder, Board of Directors, Advisory and Alliance members, volunteers, and staff to strategize, orchestrate, and implement cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans for major gift, foundation, corporate and planned giving donors and prospects, with a focus on securing major gifts ($25,000 and above).
- Participate at senior management level in the establishment and implementation of short and long-range goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures for the organization.
- Oversee a comprehensive development program to progressively grow the financial resources of the organization, engaging with donors, foundations, corporate sponsors, partner organizations, and others.
- Manage major donor ($25,000 and above) movements, including identification, cultivation, and stewardship of major donors and prospects, while serving as a frontline fundraiser.
- Pursue and complete a minimum of 25 major gift solicitations annually, including face-to-face visits.
- Hire, build and oversee a new development team, including a Development Associate and Grants Manager.
- Facilitate proposal development, including writing letters of inquiry (LOI) and proposals for grants and gifts.
- Research, identify, and maintain grant foundation prospect and donor list.
- Write and edit a variety of proposal narratives with stylistic consistency, following sponsor guidelines.
- Coordinate timely submission of qualified proposals, including supporting documentation.
- Track funding opportunities and inform collaborators and partners of potential external funding opportunities that can support the needs of Global Genes.
Manage the development of several proposals simultaneously to meet deadlines.
- Full time position located in Aliso Viejo corporate office.
- Travel (25-50%) to meet with existing and potential industry partners and prospects and to relevant conferences and other key events.
- Adherence to all corporate, financial and employee policies and procedures as implemented by Global Genes executive management.
- Support the organization’s mission, vision, and values.
- Represent the company well in both internal and external interactions.
- Take a solution-driven approach to problem solving to address challenges presented by clients and the industry at large.
- Adhere to all travel policies outlined in employee manual and as updated regularly by Global Genes executive management.
- Adhere to all reimbursement policies outlined in employee manual and as updated regularly by Global Genes executive management.
- Timely reporting and submission of expenses every two weeks.
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience in nonprofit sector, with fundraising and/or healthcare experience a plus.
- Advanced problem solving and communication abilities.
- Excellent communicator and team player.
- Experience in meeting coordination, creation of presentations, prospect research, grant writing, and customer service.
- Demonstrated expertise managing volunteers with excellence.
- Comfortable working under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Microsoft Suite experience preferred.
To Apply: Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org